Sunday, February 20, 2005

In New York

Well...

I'm here in New York.

Saw Christo, saw Hawkinson, saw Arcangel, saw McQueen, saw Quinn, saw Dali....oops....Dali?..yes, went to Philadelphia too.


Let me tell you that I'm already OVERWHELMED!

I must have seen 30 shows in 3 days dammit: Can someone cure me?


Best gallerist is Andrea Rosen.
She's often there when I'm at her gallery.
She seems to be a cool, very approachable person.
I was too shy to go and say "hey Andrea..pick me...I'll
rock your space"...but I'll grant you that her gallery is
a little more risky than average, which means that I think she's
one of those Chelsea gallerists who have some potential of being
"really" aware of where it's at, concerning art trends or choices.


My biggest reproach to Chelsea is that gallerists ar focussing on "objects"
(sculptures and paintings), when it's really not that necessary anymore.

Not if they sell their this art to museums (like they should). Museums are ready
for "art" and are just waiting for gallerists to be ready in their turn and surprise them a little (Andrea does by inviting Felix Gonzales-Torres for a serie of special projects).



I also saw Deitch, the Man. Sounds very relaxed too.
Soho continues to be hot in great part because of him.


I'll come back on some shows later after my return...

Elena Dorfman is a must, so is Hawkinson, Kim Keever, and a weird trio Magritte + Robert Williams + David Lachapelle at Tony Shafrazi.


Christo: I'm going again..it's crazy.

Being here in person made me realize how much of a pilgrimage this whole thing
ressembles. My first impression is that there was a gigantic religious procession being set up, but that I didn't what it was for, and what symbols are signified by the use of a brillant orange ("ambre", if you will).

The base seemed to be made of some sort of hard plastic. You can knock on them and hear the nice sound created by the void (I don't know why I just said that, but I always felt the urge of tapping unto them: read into this whatever you want). The drapes are so thick thy could serve for blankets to the numerous homeless citizens of NYC. Now that's one good idea for recyclage.

The sizes change depending if you are on a small or large path. I never noticed that from the photos.

Basically..it s really a crazy project, but to know it you really gotta cross the park for a minimum of 3 hours walk.


Whatever ..I'm tired...
this text is full of mistakes, cheap words and bad spell,

I'll be back,




Cedric Caspesyan
centiment@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home