Thursday, December 16, 2004

RoadKill: post-graffiti artist Roadsworth arrested.

Well, everyone in Montreal is whining these days the arrestation
of the until yet quasi-anonymous artist Roadsworth, whose work
consists of painting iconographic forms on the concrete street pavements,
as though they were decorative extensions of the general utilitarian street design.

I said a few times already in many places that ornementation
is the new art subversion. I don't think there's anything nowaday
that can pretend to be as anti-artistic as the action of coming into a gallery
and pretend you're there to decorate, apart from really believing it.

At any rates, the story of Roadsworth, which art
I can see no other reason of existing than as an indicment
against urbanscape boringness, has been told a few places.

I'll am going to propose you is that you go to
http://zekesgallery.blogspot.com
for a magnificent (if only slightly obsessive)
coverage of the affair, or write here:
maire@ville.montreal.qc.ca
if you think that Roadsworth shouldn't go in jail
or pay 50 000 dollars of tax worth.


Cheers,

Cedric Caspesyan
centiment@hotmail.com

(I actually wasn't sure when I saw the first Roadsworth pieces if they were art or
part of a publicity campaign. Maybe that is because the work used archetypal
typography to transcribe seemingly harmless doodles: Owl, plant, electric cable and slots,
etc)





2 Comments:

Blogger Zeke's, the Montreal Art Gallery said...

Howdy!

So I'm obsessive. Is this a good thing?

Baseball Sucks!

December 20, 2004 at 4:47 PM  
Blogger Cedric said...

I like obessive people ;-)

And I said "slightly".

I'm "dramatically" obsessive !! lol


Cedric

December 25, 2004 at 4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home